Question
Posted by: ruchi | 2008/05/31

static elctricity

i wear cottons and linens almost all the time,very rearely do i go for synthetic clothing,i wear leather shoes and still i get shocked on touching a car door or anything thats metal.a person next to me or whom i shaking hands with do complaint of getting mini shocks from me.it is annoying to be shocked and when you make people around you uneasy because of such a problem.
i live in india,and we experince all types of weather conditons present. i wonder if the weather has something to do with my situation. though i havent payed much attention to the season in which i experince the problem the most.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Some people are simply more 'sparky' than others, but there are methods you can try to reduce this.

Cottons and linens should help, though keep in mind some other natural fabrics (e.g. silk and wool) are actually conducive to build-up of electrostatic charge. Leather shoes are usually better, though it depends on the floor surface... remember the soles of the shoes must be leather too.

At home, you can improve matters by walking around barefoot or in cotton socks. Consider removing wool or synthetic carpet. Wood floors may bulid up charge if they are coated in certain laminates.

As regards the weather, static electricity occurs more often in dry air. Installing a humidifier in your home can help with this. Moisturising your skin might also help.

Many people find the following tips very helpful:

* Touch a neutral surface, like a wall, wooden door or the glass of a car window, to help dissipate any charge before you touch a metal object or another person.

* Hold a metal object and then touch it to a metal surface before you do. For example, many people get shocked when they touch the metal car door just after getting out of the car. If you hold a key while you’re getting out, and touch this to the car door first, the electricity will discharge from the key instead of from your hand. The same trick can be used to avoid getting shocks from shopping trolleys.

Let me know how it goes...