Our expert says:
Some people are simply more 'sparky' than others, but there are methods you can try to reduce this.
Cottons and linens should help, though keep in mind some other natural fabrics (e.g. silk and wool) are actually conducive to build-up of electrostatic charge. Leather shoes are usually better, though it depends on the floor surface... remember the soles of the shoes must be leather too.
At home, you can improve matters by walking around barefoot or in cotton socks. Consider removing wool or synthetic carpet. Wood floors may bulid up charge if they are coated in certain laminates.
As regards the weather, static electricity occurs more often in dry air. Installing a humidifier in your home can help with this. Moisturising your skin might also help.
Many people find the following tips very helpful:
* Touch a neutral surface, like a wall, wooden door or the glass of a car window, to help dissipate any charge before you touch a metal object or another person.
* Hold a metal object and then touch it to a metal surface before you do. For example, many people get shocked when they touch the metal car door just after getting out of the car. If you hold a key while you’re getting out, and touch this to the car door first, the electricity will discharge from the key instead of from your hand. The same trick can be used to avoid getting shocks from shopping trolleys.
Let me know how it goes...
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.