Question
Posted by: zelda | 2006/07/21

Starving vs Eating properly

I was sort of starving myself to try & lose weight but wasnt successful & heard that eating regularly & healthily will stimulate metabolism & cause weight loss. I have eaten properly for a week now, but have put on 2kg & am in 2minds as to start my "starving" again because I dont want to weigh more than I already do. Could the weight be from my body not being used to food (my stomach hasnt really worked properly yet)? Or does the extra 2kg means extra fat? What do you suggest....if I carry on eating properly do you think the weight will start to come off? And how long should it take to start losing weight?

Dear Zelda
Using starvation to try and lose weight is a particularly negative thing to do - it hampers weight loss after the initial loss of a few kg because your body switches off its weight loss systems in the face of perceived starvation; it can induce anorexia, something you should try and avoid at all costs; you will develop nutrient deficiencies and probably cause derangement of your normal metabolism. Please use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Weight loss' site, read about every aspect of slimming (starvation or very-low-energy diets, diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects, etc) by surfing on this site.

2
Posted by: Melbalina | 2006/07/23

Hi Zelna. As a 29 year old with years of experience of having starved myself in the past, it has no benefit for you whatsoever. It messes up your metabolism for GOOD. And then you will always have a weight problem. I am following the Low GI diet - six small meals a day - totalling 1500 calories a day. Excercise (even though I detest it) is really very important for increasing your metabolism, as you develope muscle mass which in turn increases your metablosim. Please, don't bother starving yourself anymore.

Reply to Melbalina
Posted by: claire | 2006/07/21

Hey, I was reading your email and i couldnt help but reply to you.. iM going to be really honest with you. People tell you to eat healthy and yes it makes a big difference to your body in general but we must'nt forget that everything we eat contains colories, except certain fluids, water etc. So when you eat healthy you must be careful to the amount you eat.
When you were starving yourself you prob eat once aday; What you ate in that once a day you want to eat in 3 small meals over the peroid of the day. If you choose the right foods certainly you will be alot fuller and more energic. but the key is the amount. If you are really serious then you will have to calorie count. you will have to find your ideal weight and then the amount of calories you aload in that day. I hope ive helped.

Reply to claire