Question
Posted by: Me | 2007/03/17

starve

One more question. I read on this form about "starvation mode", when you eat to little and your body stops losing weight. How little is to little? A friend told me she lost 10kg in 15 weeks by eating?
breakfast: 100ml yoghurt with all bran
10h: apple
lunch: 4 pro vitas with tomato
4h: apple
dinner: 150g mixed veggies

Is this okey?

Dear Me
I do not approve of starvation diets like this one, which will result in nutrient deficiencies. This diet is so minimalistic that it would not keep a sparrow alive! It is deficient in protein, iron, calcium, B vitamins (esp vit B12), zinc and omega-3 and if used for 15 weeks could lead to iron and/or vit B12 anaemia. The surprising thing is that your friend lost so little weight despite starving herself which supports the theory that starvation slows down weight loss. In 15 weeks she should have lost at least 15 kg on a balanced slimming diet (e.g. (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet, or try Weigh-Less or Weight Watchers or a Low-GI Slimming Diet) combined with exercise.
Take care

4
Posted by: lala | 2007/03/20

i also find it easier to starve myself than eat healthy foods to lose weight ... the healthy way just doesn't work for me..
if i have a function / event i basically cut out most food groups 2 days before and feel better on the day.
a typical day will include:
breakfast : OH, and ALWAYS eat breaks ! it speeds your metabolism up for the day. - 1/2 cup All bran flakes with low fat milk with about 10 raisins.
no snack.
lunch : no lunch OR shape meal replacement drink. 2tbsp in 3/4 glass of milk.
snack : apple / small tub fat-free / low-fat yoghurt
supper : no supper OR bowl of veggies, lightly steamed. eg. patty pans with baby marrows and green beans and broccoli. or spinach and mushrooms and a slice of mozerella cheese. sometimes i'll have a thin, match-box piece of meat/steak or chicken - whatever i've cooked for my hubby.
or a tiny amount of pasta (durum wheat only)

i know it's not healthy, but this is only "every other day" and it helps ME lose weight - healthy diets contain too much food for me and it just NEVER works ! no matter what i try - even DietDoc's diet ... didn't work !
oh and i do train at gym for 50mins about 4 - 5 times a week.

Reply to lala
Posted by: naver | 2007/03/19

how do you do it

Reply to naver
Posted by: Lulu | 2007/03/18

I find it easier to starve than to eat healthy food to loose weight.

Reply to Lulu
Posted by: FF | 2007/03/17

What an awful diet!!! How can anyone do that for 15 weeks. At weight watchers I lost 16kg in 17 weeks and I had a better diet. I reckon that your friend is starving herself and when she eats "normal" food again she will put it all back on because she is not changing her habits and chosing good food. If you had a couple of kilos to lose maybe your friend's diet would be okay but definitely not for 15 weeks but good luck with losing weight.

Reply to FF