Posted by: mamalove | 2008/08/04

starting solids

my baby was born at 34 weeks. she is now six months old. i am exclusively breastfeeding. i have not started her on solids yet. should i wait a bit longer to start or should i go ahead? she seems quite satisfied with only the breastfeeding. thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

dear mamalove
we use the formula of 16 weeks - 0.5(40 - gestational age at birth). which for your baby is 16 - 0.5(40-34) = 13 weeks. She could therefor already started with solids if she was hungry, but you can keep her on breastmilk for a few more weeks if she is happy and healthy.

Posted by: Jeanne | 2008/08/07

My baby girl was also born at 34 weeks and is now just over 5 months. We struggled to breasfeed and she is on soymilk. I' ve started giving her purity for the past 3 weeks and some diluted apple / pear juice. She is thriving and the colic at night has reduced dramatically.

Reply to Jeanne