Question
Posted by: Mish | 2004/11/15

Started taibo - put on 2.5kgs!

Please explain why mysekf and my friend have started taibo two weeks ago and we've both put ON weight? My clothes are tighter which is why I don't think it's muscle mass I've gained. I wonder if its worth all the sweat!!

HI Mish

This is very common, actually, and it's related predominantly to muscle mass (though 2 weeks is a short time, it's still not impossible) and also plasma volume (you actually make more blood when you start exercising - even a 500 ml increase would increase mass by 0.5kg or more).

People seem to have a conception that weight training causes muscle mass to rise, and cardio training burns fat. While this is largely true, you must remember that there is considerable overlap. So, let's say you are cycling, this means that if you are cycling along at 90 revs per minute this basically means that you are doing 90 contractions of the muscle per minute. Do this for 10 minutes and you have 900 muscle contractions, and so even though the force per contraction is low, you will still build some muscle. What i am saying is that even though you are not doing weight training, it's still feasible that you will gain some muscle by doing cardio.

Very importantly though, this is nothing to worry about. In fact, it's a good thing, and I guess the bottom line is that you must really focus on how fit you are, how you are feeling and perhaps how you are looking, rather than on the scale. Aim for centimeters not kilograms, and you immediately change your focus from weight to fitness and toning.

Keep up the good work, remember that it takes time, but have faith that you are on the right track!