Question
Posted by: Lin | 2007/07/24

Started excercise

I started excercising in a gym yesterday. The staff there worked out an program for hubby and I. The problem is that I get extremely nausious after excercising for anything more than half an hour.
The second problem is that my heart rate and blood pressure goes extremely high about the same time that I get nausious.
What am I doing wrong?
I am overweight because of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and I'm now trying to lose the weight. I'm still eating normal healthy food, but will go on Dr Cohen's Diet after excersising for 2 weeks.

Hi Lin

I’m curious to know whether you are taking any medication, perhaps for your condition or for blood pressure problems in the past? High blood pressure would certainly cause nausea, but it’s not clear why your blood pressure is so high. Also, not sure I follow exactly what happens – you train for 25 minutes, then all of a sudden your blood pressure goes higher and your heart rate too? If that’s the case, then I’m not sure what the problem is,but I would have some tests done to see.

But I suspect that what is actually happening is that you are training above your current level and your blood pressure and heart rate are rising progressively when you train, and 30 minutes is about the limit before your body can’t handle it any more. So if you backed off on the training intensity, you may well find no problem. The solution therefore is to adjust the intensity, or the duration. For example, if the problem happens at 30 minutes, then you can either train at the same intensity for 30 minutes (just before you start feeling bad), or you can train at a LOWER intensity for longer. I think you’ll find that this helps, and don’t get frustrated – it will take a while before your body is able to adapt to trainng and so be patient, ease off on the training and you’ll soon find that you don’t experience this any longer.