Question
Posted by: Chrisna | 2007/05/08

Starch, protein, eggs

Dietdoc, thank you for your good advice. Your patience with everyone's questions is admirable.
I have two questions: is it possible to completely omit starchy foods and still have a healthy diet? I find that protein (low fat) fills me up more than bread or rice or pasta, and also lessens my appetite. I definitely have a saturation point with meat or eggs, while I sometimes feel I can refill immediately with bread/rice/pasta.
Then also: internet articles are quite conflicting, so I hope you have a final answer: how many eggs can one safely eat per week? Although I'm 10kg overweight I do not have a cholesterol or blood pressure problem.

Dear Chrisna
Thank you for your kind words. It is possible to cut down on all starch foods that are highly processed and still eat a healthy diet. From a nutrition point of view it is, however, still advisable to eat some carbohydrates which are unprocessed (rich in B vitamins and high in fibre to ensure regularity) and have a low-GI (low-GI carbs should not increase the appetite and keep you satiated for longer). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. If you decide to cut out all starchy foods, even the high-fibre and low-GI ones, then do make sure that you are still eating plenty of fruit, vegetables, and legumes (dry, cooked or canned beans, legumes, lentils and soya to provide dietary fibre and protective nutrients). Also make sure that you are ingesting 3 or more servings of fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese a day to provide the 1000 mg of calcium adult women need for healthy bones. As to eggs, the Heart Foundation of SA recommends that adult South Africans should not eat more than 4 eggs per week.