Question
Posted by: PATAT | 2007/08/03

STALKER

Hello,

This might sound strange, but my Jack Russell has an obsession with my white cat. We have 7 dogs and 14 cats, my Jack Russell, Patat, is the only male dog. Since he arrived (I rescued him from his terrible owners, he was fully grown) at our house, he's had this fascination with my white cat. He will follow her the whole day, if she sleeps on my bed he will sit and stare at her the entire time, and if she moves he'll start to shake from head to tail. If she looks in his direction, he will look away and then slowly turn his head back to her again. He does not bite her or anything. She will be on top of a table, Patat will be at the bottom staring upward, even if he can't see her, he'll still have the same reaction. The cat is getting very frustrated. Do you know why he reacts this way and is there anyway we can release the poor cat from her stalker?

Thank you!

Is the dog neutered?

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/08/04

This is an obsessive behaviour. You're going to have to distract the dog, and possibly the cat as well, and it might not be easy - make sure the dog has a lot of attention, and try to get him 'hooked' on a few toys, so that he can be played with when he's exhibiting the behaviour.

You could just pick him up and take him somewhere else when he's doing it, and talk to him - focus his mind elsewhere. Also, I'd be picking him up, making a fuss of him, and at the same time patting the cat - try to break the pattern that's developed.

You may have to get in a behaviourist, or even provide the dog with some sort of tranquilliser - talk to your vet, too.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/03

Maybe its love :)

You are going to have to distract him and reward him when his attention is elsewhere .... Im sure the cat is getting fed up so would I :)

Odd tho I havent heard this one before .

Chill where are you .?

Reply to Carol