Question
Posted by: Naomi | 2010/02/01

STAGE 2 BLADDER CANCER

My Dad, age 66, has recently been diagnosed with stage 2 bladder cancer. The doctors has suggested to him that they need to remove the whole bladder and replace it with a bag or bladder made from his bowel.

He is looking for a second opinion. Is it really necessary to remove the bladder at this stage? Can it not be treated with Chemo or Radiation for the first month and see if it grows or shrinks?

I think his concerned about the operation and if he' ll be fit enough to get through it. He is overweight and his heart is not in good health because of the weight and nor is his lungs (he has been smoking since 14 years of age and smokes about 3 cigarettes a day).

He has been scheduled for a CT Abdominal Scan on 08/02/2010 and a Bone scan on 10/02/2010. Follow-up appointment with the doctor is on 15/02/2010 and the operation scheduled for 22/02/2010.

Your earliest response would be greatly appreciated as you can see by the above dates it is now a matter of urgency.

Thank you,

Naomi

Hallo Naomi
Stage II bladder cancer has already infiltrated the muscle layer of the bladder and standard treatment is to remove the bladder, although some patients may get radiation and chemo if they are too weak for surgery or refuse surgery. He is entitled to a second opinion - where are you located and who is he seeing at the moment, maybe I can give you some names of other oncologists in your area?

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/01

Hallo Naomi

Reply to cyberdoc