Question
Posted by: TC | 2005/01/13

StaffiexBullterrier - Possible Stroke?

We have a Staffie/Bullterrier cross +/- 7years old. He is a rather high-strung dog but is quite active (swimming; chasing balls etc.) and is not overweight. A few weeks ago we noticed that his whole lip on his left side seemed to be 'hanging' and upon closer inspection noticed that the whole left side of his face seemed 'paralysed. His left ear doesn't stand up straight like his right ear does, his left eye even seems a bit droopy. other than this he is still the same - playfull, he doesn't seem to be bother at all.He even still chews on anything he gets hold of. Could this have been caused by a stroke?

Paralysis of the facial nerves can be caused by several different mechanisms. These include the stroke as you mentioned, infection of the middle ear, hormonal diseases such as thyroid deficiency, trauma, as well as a few other causes. The condition, if simply caused by a nerve dysfunction, may resolve slowly over many months or remain as it is. Patients vary vastly. If you see any other since developing, please go see your veterinarian. There is no specific treatment if it is simply nerve paralysis.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: TC | 2005/01/14

Thanks Chill ,will do

Reply to TC
Posted by: Chill | 2005/01/14

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would ike to just ask you to keep an eye on something: if the dog's face is partly paralysed, which is what it sounds to me you're saying, then you will need to make sure he doesn't accidentally bite his lip or even his tongue, without you noticing.

It's easy enough for you to see if that is a problem - if it is, you'll need to get professional advice - I just would have the horrors if he inadvertently injured himself and you didn't notice.

Reply to Chill