Question
Posted by: bronwynne | 2004/12/23

stabbing abdominal pains and prolonged menstrual cycle

Lately I have been experiencing sharp pains in my abdomen, close to the groin area (more or less where my ovaries would be situated). The pain is so bad, I double over at times and no position I lay in is comfortable anymore. I started my period on 16th and find that I am still bleeding, today is the 8th day so far, and I am normally a 5-day cycle. Before I fell pregnant with my daughter, I had a 9-day cycle.

Please tell me what the problem could be and if I need to see my GP.

Bronwynne, it might be due to an infection or even a tube pregnancy. The problem is that I can’t say without being able to examine you first, so the best would be to see your GP. Good luck.