Question
Posted by: Buffy Summers | 2004/10/22

St Johns Wort

I have been taking St Johns Wort for a while, just to take the edge of my stress levels but recently my doctor has advised me against it. Does it have any side effects that I should watch for. She mainly warned me against taking it while I am on an oral contraceptive.
Please advise

Dear Buffy
Many people think that herbal products are harmless and have no side-effects - this is a fallacy. I am not the herbologist, but I have read that St John's Wort does cause side-effects and may interfere with the action of the pill, so it is better to avoid it.