Question
Posted by: Kay | 2005/07/25

St. John's

Hi CS

I would like to know if St. John wort is an affective treatment for depression. I have done quite a lot of reading up on the subject and it seems that everybody suggest that it works for depression on minor and major level. What I would really like to know is if it would work (obviously taking this together with proffesional counciling) for those who have recurrent thoughs of suicide??

I don't know of anyone of any expertise or sense who has EVER responsibly suggested that St John's Wort is effective or adviseable, EVER, with major depression. The only evidence that exsists suggests that it MAY< in some people, provide useful relief in minor depression, It would be highly iresponsible for anyone to recommend it to someone with thoughts of suicide. And remember, though it is often portrayed as a wonderfully "natural" remedy, when it works, it works as if it were a dilute form of Prozac, apparently by the same chemical processes.
So anyone with significant depression, would always be better off to see a proper psychiatrist, and have a proper antidepressant combined with professional counselling