Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2004/11/10

SSRI to tricylic?

I posted previously about the price of ciprmail, the cheapest generic my pharmacy can over is still almost R300 rand...sigh.
My clinic can give me a tricyclic. Should I change?
The ciprmail is really getting a expensive story for me.
Is it safe to go from a SSRI to a tricyclic?
How long should one wait?

Discuss this with your clinic. The list of drugs the state will provide free or cheaply at their clinics is necessarily fairly short, and sticks to the cheaper older drugs. For decades tricyclics were the only practical alternative for most people, and worked well. They tend to be more sedative, and may cause dry mouth, but they can still be very useful. You'd need to discuss the change-over with your clinic, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Paul's partyl right. The older drugs like tricyclics affected more different brain chemicals, but all of those they affect, are disturbed in most depressions, so this can be a useful effect, though usually at the cost of somewhat more side-effects. The SSRI's were novel in aiming more specifically at Serotonin, but serotonin is clearly not the only brain chemical involved in Depression, and some even newer antidepressants brag that they work on Serotonin AND Noradrenaline ( the SNRI's ) and insist that this is an advantage.
So, briefly, the tricyclics might well help you, and would cost less.

2
Posted by: Amanda | 2004/11/11

Hi Paul
I know SSRI's are better but at this time its about affordability to me unfortunately:-)

Reply to Amanda
Posted by: Paul | 2004/11/11

As far as I know Tri-Cyclics arent that good as it not only affects your Serotonin but also your dopamine and noradrenaline levels, thus throwing a few chemicals out of kilter trying to balance the one.

Wonder what CS will say.

Reply to Paul