Question
Posted by: jack | 2006/04/21

squats and deadlifts

i work out four times a week.is doing squats and deadlifts four times a week too much? i am 63 years old

Hi Jack

Not necessarily, but it depends on how hard EACH session is. If you are doing a maximum lifting session each time, then I do think it is excessive. However, if the goal is to build muscle and you are lifting below your maximal level, then I think it is manageable. The biggest factor is of course injury and you must be cautious about how you train. Don't increase the weight suddenly, don't go and lift 10 reps when you have done 8 previously etc. If you allow your body to respond and adapt and take an easy day once a week, then you can still do it. But listen to your body, it will let you know!