Question
Posted by: Univer | 2008/05/26

Sprained jaw muscle?

Hi there. I was at gym this morning. Nothing that I did was more streneous than usual except for maybe pushing the number of sit ups that I usually do. I had no problems/pain after the session. However once at home while eating breakfast my jaw felt a little odd on the left side. It felt as if It was slightly out of joint. Anyway no other problems really unitl lunch time. I had quite a hard roll and really felt it my jaw. Once again a disjointed feeling. The pain isn't really that painful but more of a 'funny' (Ha Ha) kinda of pain. But after eating a muscle or something was clearly swollen and visible. The swelling is right on the corner of my jaw bone directly in front of my ear lobe. The swelling then continues behind my jaw and basically into my neck.
It isn't really painful but sensitive if I apply pressure. It is quite hard to the touch though.
Any idea what this is? The cause? Suggestions? I don't really want to go to see a doctor if it is just a sprain or something minor.
Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Hi Univer

You might have strained something - it's not unheard of to damage ligaments or tendons or muscles in the jaw area, though i'm not 100% sure how you would have done that in gym. It could happen just as a result of sleeping badly, and so really could be due to anything, with the gym being entirely co-incidental.

So my advice (given the time that has gone since you sent the question in - my apologies) is to assess it and see what the situation is. If the pain is still there, then absolutely, consider seeing someone. But I suspect it may have come and gone, in which case you no longer have a problem!