Question
Posted by: Cindy C | 2007/02/12

Sprained ankle recovery

I know that we're only supposed to ask a question to one professinal but the rehabilitation expert hasn't gotten back to me until now so this is what I had asked:

I sprained my ankle quite badly on the 6th of Jan, it's been x-rayed and I've wrapped it and so and so on. This week, I"ve been going without a wrap and have gotten back on my treadmill. I am a bit worried about the ankle though.... how can I be sure to build up the muscle around it so that I don't injury it further?
Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cindy
Date: 25/1/2007

If someone could help me out on this it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Cindy

Expert ImageArchive

hi Cindy

Improve proprioception. That is the most important thing. Proprioception is how your ankle senses its positionin space. What this means is that the ankle "senses" whenit has moved TOO FAR to one side or the other.
Good exercises for this include:

A wobble board.
simply walking bare-foot helps to increase proprioception.

Also make sure you have good range of motion of your ankle.
A guard may be helpful initially.

dr P