Question
Posted by: concerned | 2007/05/28

spotting in female baby - 1 wk old

Have you heard of female babies spotting (as in monthlys ) due to their moms high hormone levels ?
My niece who is a week old started bleeding on saturday and the doctor says it is not a major issue but if it does not stop she should come back. He told us abt the hormone levels.
The thing that is worrying is that the mother was drinking and smoking heavily in her first trimester. She was also on tipilene 254mg of which she used to take 2 daily.
please help.

Yes, this spotting in babies is described and is not a problem. The Trepiline will not affect the baby and, if there are no signs of fetal alcohol syndrome or growth restriction, this would not develop later.

2
Posted by: Mel | 2007/05/29

I have heard of this. Although not very common, if the doctor is not too concerned, maybe give it a few days and see what happens?

Reply to Mel
Posted by: Nads | 2007/05/28

I have never heard of this before.
I would certainly recomend going to another doctor for a 2nd opinion.

Hope all works out.
Nads

Reply to Nads