Question
Posted by: lady | 2006/11/06

spotting

I have PCOS and had a laparoscopy in October. I want to fall pregnant. I had a period just when the operation was done and then 12 days later again. They ssid it could be due to the operation. However, 12 days later I am having a brownish discharge, but no clear blood. sometimes there are reddish pieces - looks like stings- in this discharge. Been having this for 4 days now. It seems to be gone but when I pass stools for instance, this brownish discharge is back when I wipe. What is wrong and what can I do?

Dear Lady

It is possible that at the time of the laparoscopy a DD&C or womb clean up was done. In some cases, this causes disruption of the lining and consequently a dysfunctional bleed occurs. However, generally given time, the problem will rectify itself. Should it persist after 3 months I would suggest that you refer the matter to the gynaecologist who performed the laparocopy for further evaluation.