Question
Posted by: Mercia | 2007/03/21

Sports & Pacemaker

Dear Doc,

I manufacture clothing and was approached by a mother who's son has a pacemaker with the batteries fitted in his abdomen. He plays sports (rugby and martial arts), and a piece of protective clothing has to be manufactured to protect the batteries. Could you please help as we are currently at a loss, as we have no ideas of how we can manufacture this item. We have done research on the internet, but could not find anything that could help us in our quest.

Thank You,

Mercia

Dear Mercia
I think if you could make something like a padded shoulderpad, that you could insert in an inside pocket of the shirt or pants directly over the pacemaker battery area this should be fine. The chances that the batteries will get damaged is actually low, I'm more worried about the leads pulling out of the heart with Rugby!! Has she had the green light from his doctor for him to be playing contact sports?