Question
Posted by: reinhold | 2003/03/22

sports injury

I've been told that I have a rotator cuff injury; I play goalkeeper in a waterpolo team; lifting my arm when saving goals is very painful in the upper arm muscle, just below the shoulder joint. What causes this injury and what is the treatment?

Hi Reignhold

Rotator cuff injuries are common in overhead sports. It is first important for you to have a clear diagnosis of your injury before mangement can be effected. Rotator cuff injuries can be acute from actual damage to the muscle by application of eccentric forces such as that experienced in throwing or they can be secondary to muscle imbalances as a result of poor posture, overuse or poor techniques. All these result in poor force couples about the shoulder joint resulting in overuse injuries.

Treatment usually involves strengthening muscle imbalances and correcting ones biomechanical imbalances and posture as well as throwing techniques.

i suggest you consult a sports physiotherapist or biokineticist for advice.