Question
Posted by: jono | 2006/10/24

sports drink

i am an endurance cyclist and am wondering which of the sports drinks (energade, powerade, powerbar, fastfuel, cytomax) is the best? are they all the same? thank you

Hi Jono

The Energade and Powerades are pretty similar, they are glucose and electrolytes, which in my opinion is all that you need. Cytomax differs in that it contains a few vitamins/electrolytes and some amino acids. There's not much evidence in the literature that these really work though, so I would say that Cytomax is not really worth taking - it's really expensive for one thing, and like I say, doesn't really have anything that is known to work. Powerade is less sweet than Energade, which i find more palatable and easier to drink, especially on long cycle rides, but from a physiological point of view, there's no real difference.