Question
Posted by: Gabriel | 2008/02/01

SPONTANEOUS ABORT

After struggling for a long time to have a baby, my wife and I were excited when we did a home pregnancy test and it was positive. It was 2 weeks after she missed her period. The doctor confirmed this with an HCG blood test. 2 days later she was bleeding heavily with clots and severe pains. We went back to the gynaecologist and after he examined her, he told us he have to admit my wife immediately to do the evacuation because of spontaneous abortion that occured. Earlier my wife did DD&C and we only tried to have a baby after 2 menstruation cycles following the procedure. That was when she became pregnant, only to abort when the pregnancy was 6 weeks. What could have been the cause of that abortion doctor, and after how long can we try again after the evacuation? She is now 41 years and I'm 32.

Dear Gabriel

If I understand correctly there have been two consecutive spontaneous abortions and therefore I would recommend that full and thorough investigations be undertaken with regards to this problem. There are five main areas of concern and certainly, genetic abnormalities in the embryo is by far the most important and likely cause in this case. This problem is rather complicated in terms of diagnosis and therefore, unfortunately, although the most likely, is also the most difficult to verify. Other factors to consider include:
uterine (womb) abnormalities,
infections,
hormonal factors e.g.: thyroid abnormalities, diabetes etc
auto-immune pathology
Should these investigations fail to detect any abnormalities I would advise that you attempt pregnancy under controlled conditions and under supervision of a fertility specialist particularly the use of low dose steroids combine with low dose asprin might be of benefit in this instance.