Question
Posted by: Kira | 2004/03/09

Spirulina

Hi there Diet Doc. I've heard so much hype about how great Spirulina is, and both my hubby and I take it daily (6 tabs each) - in your opinion, is it a good multivitamin/all rounder for energy/health/slimming etc, as is claimed? Or is it just very expensive blue-green algae? Please advise, thank you!

Dear Kira
These products do contain a variety of amino acids, vitamins and minerals, but even if you take 6 tablets (as advised on the bottle), you will not really be getting very high concentrations of these nutrients. For example, the package insert I have seen, states that 6 tablets contain 7,2 mg of calcium. Compared to the RDA of 800-1000 mg, this is a very small dose and if you required extra calcium for example to prevent osteoporosis, you would have to take an additional calcium supplement. It is not known what effect the other ingredients such as plant pigments have on the human body - they may well be beneficial. How do you feel since taking the tablets? I would be interested to know, so do post another Message on this Message Board if you have experienced an improvement in health and energy levels.

2
Posted by: MM1 | 2004/03/09

I've been using it for months and my day just doesn't seem the same without it. I feel sluggish, tired and drained when I don't take it. I've recommended it to some of my friends and at least 2 have agreed it gives them more energy. Needless to say I had my reservasions too but I honestly do feel a big difference. Maybe it's a mental thing combined with the benefits of the supplement but that's a great thing either way.

Reply to MM1
Posted by: Sara | 2004/03/09

I take spirulina every morning also and unfortunatly it doesnt seem to be wroking for me.. i still feel as exhausted as i always do

Reply to Sara