Question
Posted by: spinner | 2008/01/11

Spinning panic training

Hey FitnessDoc,

I just like to ask your advice on training for the Augus bicycle marathon in March. I have never done anything like this before but would really like to try it - I won't be able to train in the field, but would it be possible to train in spinning studio?
If so - what training schedule do you suggest - can I join spinning classes at the gym ? What classes do you suggest?

Any advice please!!
Thankyou

hi spinner

Well, you have 2 months to go still, so it is certainly possible to get yourself into some kind of reasonable shape for the ARgus. Cycling is not like running, where you have to really allow a long build up period. In cycling, it's really just a basic level of fitness that is required and you will be able to tolerate the ride - you wouldn't be in the shape to do a good ride, and the hills will prove diffcult, but Argus is a fun ride, and so you will certainly have time enough to get to that level.

I think spinning is a good option, aside from riding on the road. I really do think that you need to consider doing a few rides on the road, just to become more accustomed to riding. It's especially helpful if you can get out and do a ride in a group of other cyclists, so you learn what it's like to have bikes around. The Argus is not a lonely event! You'll have hundreds around you all the time, so the sooner you learn to relax with that, the better. And the only way is to actually ride with other people. So I really woudl suggest that.

As for the spinning, three classes a week is the best bet, for now. Those classes are about 45 minutes long, and you can pretty much regulate the intensity. Obviously, spend a couple of weeks in the easy/beginner classes, and then 'graduate' to the more advanced classes. I'd say by mid-Feb you should be doing the intermediate classes. And then on your weekends, really try to get out on the road. Even if it's just for an hour or two - a two hour ride in late Feb, and another in the first week of March will get you through the race.

1
Posted by: Lizelle | 2008/01/30

I want to start with spinning classes, but do not know where there is spinning classes in Boksburg, Gauteng. I do not want to go to gym like Virgin Active, just a spinning studio. Please assist.

Thank you.

Reply to Lizelle