Question
Posted by: Nina | 2007/08/15

Spine and shoulder discomfort

I have a similar problem to the reader who experiences clicking of her shoulders and hip, although I can feel mine in my back whenever I move my head in any direction. The "clicking" occurs in the spine area, between my two shoulder blades. There is no pain, just a discomfort. This started close to the time when I started experiencing sever pain in my coccyx area a few years ago. The pain is still there, despite a year long visit to the physiotherapist. It's not as bad as before, but it still hurts when I sit, and sometimes it's even more painful and difficult to get up again. Please advise what I can do

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Nina,

Joint clicking is not an unusual phenomonen and is usually insignificant. However, if the clicking is accompanied by pain or discomfort then this can be suggestive of a problem. The exact cause of joint clicking is still a contentious issue, however, joint crepitus (grinding type noise) can be suggestive of joint degeneration. Clicking around joints can be caused by movement of the local soft tissues or by the joints themselves.

I would suggest that in the first instance, you consult an Osteopath or a Chiropractor to have you spine accurately assessed. Both types of practitioner will be able to expertly assess the function of your spine, including the coccyx. From this assessment, they will be able to provide you with an effective course of action to eliminate your pain and joint clicking.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

Dr. Gary Riley