Posted by: K | 2005/12/02

Spinal Stenosis


I wonder if you could please assist. My father has been diagnosed with spinal stenosis. Unfortunately it has detoriated and he will have to have surgery. What I would like to find out is what the doctors mean when they say they don't use any screws or plates but insert "windows".


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear K
I think they will do a procedure called "Port Hole Decompression" where the make little holes/windows in the vertebrae through which they will decompress/loosen the nerves that are trapped. With this procedure they don't damage the ligaments/structures attached to the spine and therefore the success rate of this operation is very good compared to the older "laminectomy or fusion" operations. Hope this helps- otherwise corner the surgeon and ask him to explain in details.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: K | 2005/12/12


Thanks so much for your reply.

Reply to K

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.