Question
Posted by: K | 2005/12/02

Spinal Stenosis

I wonder if you could please assist. My father has been diagnosed with spinal stenosis. Unfortunately it has detoriated and he will have to have surgery. What I would like to find out is what the doctors mean when they say they don't use any screws or plates but insert "windows".

Thanks.
K.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear K
I think they will do a procedure called "Port Hole Decompression" where the make little holes/windows in the vertebrae through which they will decompress/loosen the nerves that are trapped. With this procedure they don't damage the ligaments/structures attached to the spine and therefore the success rate of this operation is very good compared to the older "laminectomy or fusion" operations. Hope this helps- otherwise corner the surgeon and ask him to explain in details.

1
Posted by: K | 2005/12/12

Thanks so much for your reply.

Reply to K