Posted by: aadila | 2008/08/05

spinal injury best care and best bed tip

My sister has recently suffered a spinal injury on her L7 verterbrae, she slipped and fell and landed on her behind. she is currently in the clinic, and will be home shortly. I need to get her a proper firm mattress. i looked at the tempur mattresses however they' re exhorbitantly priced and this will not be a permanent condition for her.
ANy suggestions on a great mattress brand etc as well as care for her. She will be in a brace with very little or no movement, if anyone has advice and tips please forward them to
aadila at mtnloaded dot co dot za

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear aadila
I don't think you need to change her mattress as she should become mobile as soon as her pain levels allow her to move. Also the brace should also only be a temporary measure- the longer you wear this, the more dependent you get on it. Wearing a brace full-time can cause bone loss in the spine and lead to osteoporosis.
The best person to guide you would be the orthopaedic surgeon who looks after her. He knows how bad the injury is and what she can and cannot do at the moment.