Question
Posted by: Wildboy | 2007/08/25

Spinal Alignment (Neutral Spine)

1: What are are the advantages/disadvantages between perfoming matwork exercises (eg: curls & hundreds) with a flat back (pushed into the floor) vs. neutral spine?

I've spoken to over 30 instructirs, physios, pilate sinstructors who contradict each other. Does it make a difference?

HI Wildboy

No, I don't think it makes an enormous amount of difference. I suspect the reason for the many contradictions is that no one really knows, and so individual opinions sprout up based on possibilities. In my opinion, the neutral spine is more likely to be the least risky position in terms of strain on the back, but the reality is that in those particular exercises, the back is not likely to be under major load anyway. So quite honestly, I don't think it makes a whole heap of difference.