Question
Posted by: Cat | 2008/01/04

Spinach in its most nutritious form?

I love spinach and eat it every day, but don't really like it raw - the taste is a bit "wild" for me, even in shredded form. I blanch 5 to 7 leaves it for a few minutes in hot water and serve it with other blanched veggies such as broccoli, baby marrows, carrots, green and red peppers, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc. ]

Would spinach still be highly nutritious in blanched form? And should the leaves that become dark brown (or appear bruised) in the hot water, be discarded?

Thank you.

Dear Cat
The most important nutrient in spinach is beta-carotene, which is transformed into vit A in the body. Not much beta-carotene is lost if you blanch the spinach. Discolouration of the leaves also does not indicate loss of nutrients, so you can use them if you don't mind the colour. However, the fact that the leaves discolour, indicates that you may be blanching the spinach too long. Basically all the leaves should still be bright green after blanching.
Enjoy