Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2004/11/17

Spina Bifida

I was born as a spina bifida. BUT I did not have a opening in my back and I have feeling all through my body. I am also fully mobile. I was born without a coxics (last bone of you spinal cord). Therefore, alot of the nerves around that area was damaged. My legs did not develop proberly and neither did my bladder and kidneys. I use a cathater to urinate.

I would just like to know if there are any support groups in SA for people like me? Does SA have a Association for Spina Bifida's? And I would like to know if any other progress has been made in the treatment of this disability?

Michelle, I don’t know of any support groups, but I will try to find out for you. The best person to ask would be your own neurologist as he will know if there is a group in your area whereas mine will only be able to tell me about Pretoria. Good luck. ]
PS please repost your question in a couple of days so that I have somewhere to post my reply.

1
Posted by: RLJ | 2004/11/17

I don't know if there is any groups in rsa but a website that I found is asbah.org, Association for Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. I hope it can help you.
The reason why I know the website is because I was trying to find out what can cause Spina Bifida because my son had the worst case of Spina Bifida and some other birth difects, he died 40 minuts after birth.
I take my hat of for you. I hope you get wat you want and need

Reply to RLJ