Question
Posted by: Kate | 2004/10/25

Spiked drink?

I am really quite bothered and scared about this. On Friday lunchtime I went out for drinks with some friends. I had 3 and a half glasses of wine, one shooter and some snacky things to eat. That qty of wine is really not too much for me, it is my usual amount. Literally from one minute to the next, about 3 hours later I was completely finished. I could not hold my head up straight. My boyfriend had to come and fetch me and he said I was totally out of it. I don't remember a thing, until I got into the car. I was as sick as a dog, and therafter I was aggresive and really ugly for a few hours. I don't remember a thing about that either. I am 36 years old I have not had this scary thing happen to me before. Is it possible that someone put something in my drink?? How would I be able to check or have myself tested? It was really so bad and took me the entire weekend to recover from feeling nauseous, shaky and awful.

Dear Kate,
Firstly, without being a spoilsport, I must say that that amount of wine plus shooter, especially when only balanced by "some snacky things" is an excessive alcohol intake, especially for lunch, and a lousy diet.
It sounds as if you had an alarming reaction to whatver you drank, whether to the alcohol alone, or to something aded to it. Of course it's POSSIBLE that someone aded something to your drink. ( Am I right in assuming that you are not currently taking ANY form of medication which might have interacted with the alcohol ? )
It might have been useful THEN for your friend to have taken you to a casualty for blood and later urine samples to be taken for testing --- now, several days later, it's unlikely there's be anything left to find. Sue's right, that people should be cautious about ordering drinks not arriving in the sealed bottle ; or at least drinks they can watch being poured and mixed. And as BEE points out, maybe the snacky things are to blame ?

4
Posted by: Kasandra | 2004/10/26

Did you have any medication earlier the day? or are you on any medicaton which could effected you?

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: BEE | 2004/10/25

Perhaps you got a touch of food poisoning from the "snacky things" and there was nothing wrong with the drinks? It's possible something was off?

Reply to BEE
Posted by: Sue | 2004/10/25

I think woman should rather order drinks in bottle and watch the barman open it in front of you. You should have gone to the doctor straight away for them to do a test. Im sure its a bit late now. I heard that you have to do one straight away. If you were drugged count your lucky stars you were not raped like all the other stories you hear. Maybe you should report it to the police which bar/retaurant you were at so at least they know.

Reply to Sue
Posted by: Blue and Grey Boy | 2004/10/25

Ohh!! a fellow victum

Well it depends where did you go (sometimes the barman or waiters do the spiking....)
It could be anything and if it is hactic your doctor could trace it.
But they have nifty tricks to spike a person, some spirits only need ordinary pepper to have an affect on you...

But, I was spiked with eyedrops,after one cider I felt funny went to the loo locked the cubicle door put my back against the door and slided down the door and sat there outofit couldn't move till a friend fetched me and carried me out. Apparently eyedrops in drink can have paralizing, and enraging effects on even the biggest rugbyplayer only one drop and its tickets for you but doubt that a doc. can traceit it works out your system with the alcohol

Or like some clubs do to make people drink less on pigs nights is they rinse glasses in spirits and this effects some people quite nasty

Reply to Blue and Grey Boy