Question
Posted by: Spikey | 2007/05/02

SPF in winter

Hi there,
I was just wondering if it's really necessary to wear a daily SPF face protector in winter (in Cape Town)? What would you suggest - SPF 15, 25 or 40?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Spikey, thank you for the question.
I beleive that it is vital to wear daily SPF during winter. My recomendation is to use a factor 15 or higher during winter and to try and get a brand that contains zinc. Zinc is a powerfull UVA block, and the importance here lies with the ability of UVA to penetrate deeper into the skin, thereby causing more damage than UVB. Some studies have shown the potential of damage of UVA to be ten times more than UVB. Zinc tends to leave a greasy and whitish streak on the skin surface but there are products that contain zinc that does neither.