Question
Posted by: Wandipha | 2008/01/11

Sperm wash

My partner who is hiv positive and I want to have a baby. Can you tell me more about this sperm wash thing as I'm hiv negative. Which specialist can best assist us? How much are we expected to pay for such services?

Dear Wandipa

Sperm wash in this instance is best undertaken in a fertility centre with on site laboratory (refer to Bioart website – https:/bioartfertility.co.za) It is important to note that although sperm wash has been shown to be extremely safe in this instance it is still prudent to access the after wash specimen for any viral particles which may have escaped the washed process. However if you embark on an IVF – ICSI process, the cost may be higher may prove to be the better option as it eliminates virtually completely the risk of any contamination at all. The cost for sperm wash and insemination is usually in the region of R1000 to R1500 in unstimulated cycle were as the cost of and IVF- ICSI would be about R23 000.