Question
Posted by: Tee | 2008/01/08

Sperm Donors?

We are a lesbian couple who would like to get pregnant this year. We've been planning it for a while, and are legally married. Where do we start the process of finding a sperm donor / sperm clinic? Anybody that's been through this - would you suggest a anonymous donor or a friend? What are the costs that we're looking at?

Dear Tee

The start of the process of finding a sperm donor would be to find a sperm bank. If you are living in Gauteng ,the Andrology laboratary in Parktown doubles up as a sperm bank.You can call 0114842695 for more info.

If one uses a friend as a sperm donor the advantage is that you know exactly where the sperm is coming from and possibly the genetic material with that, however the disadvantage is that there may occasionally be repurcutions later on. It is generally better to get an anonymous donor. As to the cost of the procedure it depends entirely as to whether you only require artificial insemination or whether you would require invitro fertilisation.

1
Posted by: Neli | 2008/07/29

I am a 33yr old HIV positive woman who desparately wants a child. My CD 4 count is high in its 500. What is the procedure for artificial insemination. What is the cost of the procedure

Reply to Neli