Question
Posted by: LS | 2005/01/13

Sperm Count

Hi! I have been trying to fall pregnant for 16 months and have still had no luck. I have been to my gynae and everything is normal on my side and I am ovulating. I think it is now time to go and have my husband tested. How do I go about having his sperm tested/counted? I want to get him tested so that we know if we are able to conceive or not.

The best thing is for your gynaecologist to refer your husband to a laboratory. The results will need to be interpreted by a doctor, so it best to have a referral rather than just going by yourself.

5
Posted by: LS | 2005/01/13

Thanks for all the help

Reply to LS
Posted by: FH | 2005/01/13

I also went to the lab in Parktown, across the road from the Park Lane Clinic. Was there first thing in the morning, and there was nobody else in the labs but myself, my wife and the lab techie. We were given privacy in a seperate room, and then 'produced' the sample. They had the results within a few hours and the gynae got them by the end of the day.

They were very professional about it.

We are currently with Vitalab undetrgoing treatment, and they also do the tests at their premises, but I think that's only for their patients.

Remember that you have 30 minutes after producing the sample to get it to the lab for testing because it starts to liquify at room temperature. Also once you have produced the sample try to keep the specimen bottle close to your body to try to maintain body temperature while transporting it to the lab.

Also, there were a few tips/rules/guidelines given us from Vitalab, but I can't remember all of them. The ones that I remember are :
* Remember to wash properly before producing sample
* You must not have ejaculated for 48-72 hours prior to producing sample
* Early morning is the best time to produce sample
* No saliva or any other form of lubrication should be used when producing sample, as it may interfere with the sperm
* If I remember correctly you must have emptied your bladder at least an hour prior to producing sample

Hope this helps you in some way.

Good luck.

Reply to FH
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/01/13

Hi Michelle

Wow - one more reason to change my gynae. Even after I told him about my husbands concerns about going to the Lab he did not tell me that doing it from home was an option. It would have saved me alot of cajoleling with my husband and saved him a lot of embarassment.

Thanks - I love this forum. I learn something new everyday.

Sparks

Reply to Sparks
Posted by: Michelle | 2005/01/13

You can go to any Lancet Lab get a form and a container and then your husband can do his thing at home. They will tell you exactely how and when he must do it and what time you must bring it it. Some labs want it 6 o'clock in the morning.

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/01/13

Hi LS

My husband just went to Lancet laboratories in Parktown. You can go with him if he would like some "help". They are very professional there and if he goes very early in the morning there is likely to be nobody else there (if he is embarassed about it - my husband was mortified but got over it quickly). I think they open at 7am. They do the tests there and send the results directly to your gynae. I think we had the results within 2 days.

Sparks

Reply to Sparks