Question
Posted by: Judy | 2006/07/20

Sperm abnormalities-tapered forms

Dear Fertility Expert

My husband went for a spermiogram which indicated good sperm count & motility, of 103million per ml & 70%, respectively.

However, he had a high %age of tapered forms (12%). according to the path report, it is as a result of "STRESS PATTERN".

My question thus: Whar does tapered forms indicate eg is it malformed or underdeveloped sperm etc and CAN these be "converted" to normal forms.

Thanks it advance

Dea Judy

There are several different morphological abnormalities one could expect in a spermiogram and tapered forms is usually one such abnormailty. However, of greater importance, is the subject of normal forms which are present and which you have not indicated.
The percentage of tapered forms do vary but not significant enough to alter significantly the picture of morphology percentages.
Therefore, the absolute percentage of normal forms would be the important parameter to look at . If the percentage normal forms is less than 8%, I would consider it a definte indication for ART, eg IVF.