Question
Posted by: AS | 2004/03/02

Sperm

1) My husband and I are planning to start trying to fall pregnant in a few months time. However, after sex I rush to the toilet and empty out the sperm as I can' t bear the mess it makes. Will this reduce the chances of me falling pregnant or will the "strong swimmers" make it?
2) If I have been on the pill for nearly 6 years, aprroximately how long will it be until it is totally out of my system?
3) How safe is it for me to start trying for a baby straight after stopping the pill. If I still have the pill in my system will it increase the risk of miscarriage?

If you get rid of all the sperm immediately, this will lessen your chances of pregnancy.
The length of taking the Pill does not make a difference to how long before your fertility returns. Most women do not fall pregnant in the first three months. Thereafter your chances are the same as if you had never been on the Pill.
Some people wait three months before trying to fall pregnant. This is more theoretical than an actual risk.

1
Posted by: Kate | 2004/03/02

1) Yes, rushing to the loo to 'empty out' the sperm will significantly decrease your chances of falling pregnant. Stay on your back for at least 30 minutes after sex. Gotta give the sperm a chance to swim upstream :-) Even prop a pillow under your bum (old wives tale but it worked for me!)

2) It all depends, everyone says six months to a year for a healthy couple to fall pregnant. Took me six months after being on the pill for years. But some women fall pregnant very quickly and others don't.

3) Yes, it is safe to fall pregnant after coming off the pill.

Tips:

Start taking folic acid, this is very important in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy to avoid Spina Bifida. You may only find out you are pregnant at 5 weeks so you should start taking it daily whilst you are trying for a baby so your baby gets it from day 1!

Best of luck!

Reply to Kate