Question
Posted by: KB | 2004/10/15

SPAYED BUT IN HEAT?

I had my bullterrier spayed about three weeks ago. I notice, however, that it continues to display signs of being in heat. Is this normal.

If she was spayed while in season, it may take a short while for all the signs to recede. Was she given any hormonal treatment? That may also extend the signs of the season. Occasionally, dogs can have so-called ectopic ovarian tissue, which means that ovarian tissue was located outside of the normal position, and this may result in ongoing symptoms of the heat. If that is the case, she may need a second operation to go searching for this type of tissue. If the signs persist, take her back to your vet for repeat examination.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/15

was she on heat when u had her spayed ? and what signs ? is she bleeding ? swollen ? give a little more info ...

Reply to Carol