Question
Posted by: Lindsay | 2004/10/11

Spastic colon or not?

Hi, I have the following symptoms: I get severe cramps in my stomach, just under my ribs, towards the top of my stomach. The pain spreads to my ribs and this causes tremendous backache. My doctor says I have a spastic colon. I often have an upset stomach. I have tried to cut out certain foods, cabbage does cause me to get severe stomach ache. I have read up about a spastic colon and I don't think that I am stressed at all. I do think that it is food related, but they say that you get stomach ache at the bottom of your stomach, and I feel pain at the top. I also always feel bloated. I have noticed that my pain attacks happen about 7 - 8 hours after I have eaten and mostly at night. This pain isn't always followed by an upset stomach. Sometimes I vomit, but that doesn't happen often. These "attacks" also last for about two hours at a time. I usually drink strong painkillers but I know that is not the solution. Do you think I have a spastic colon or do you think it could perhaps be something else? What foods could you suggest that I exclude from my diet? Your help would really be appreciated. Would it be best to see a specialist with my problem?

Lindsay, it sounds like you might have a stomach ulcer or a hiatus hernia (or both). The best would be to see a gastroenterologist (stomach specialist) before you go on anyweird diet. Good luck.