Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/06/06

Spastic colon?

I need a second opinion on the following:

In January my husband was sick. He was weak. During the night he had terrible convulsions. He was jerking, making groaning sounds, foaming, wet himself. He jerked from the bed to the floor.

I got him to the hospital. They did an EEG, and some other tests and found nothing. He did not have another episode, and went home a day or 2 later.

On Monday night he again got sick. Stomach cramps and flu like symptoms. I knew what was coming.

He ran to the bathroom to throw up and passed out on the floor. I got him back to the bed. About 2 hours later he woke up and asked me to make him some soup. When i got to the kitchen i heard something. He was convulsing...not as bad as january, but head rolled back, jaws clenched. Stopped about 30seconds later.

He sais he was fine. I got him the soup, he drank it and then vomited it all out.

I took him to the hospital.

They did various blood tests, ultra sounds, ecg, etc.

They confirmed that it was not epilepsy.

This morning he was discharged, and they said he had a spastic colon.

Now how would they have determined this? The doctors kinda talk down to me to a point where id didnt want to ask any questions....

We are going to see a gastroetrologist (sp) in a week or so on their recommendation.

My question is....how would they have picked up that its a spastic colon? Without having done a colonoscopy or stool tests?

And would the stomach cramps be the cause of the convulsions and vomiting? They say he 'passed out', and its not really convulsions....

He is on Beva something for the stomach cramps.

I also asked what i should do if it happens again....and the doctor said nothing. But he did say....if we can control his stomach cramps, we'll be able to control the end result of the convulsions....

Can u shed any light on any of this for me?

I am abviously not a doctor, so i feel very intimidated when i do ask a question and i get spoken down to....

And what foods can he eat in the meantime...until i get to the gastroenologist (no idea how to spell or pronounce...lol).

I was only told to limit onions, no cabbage, no fibre rich foods...but i dont know what constitutes fibre rich foods.....

Dear Sandy
I am really concerned - spastic colon does not give you convulsions, especially not ones where you foam at the mouth and wet yourself. The nausea and cramping could be what they call an "aura" or warning of an impending epileptic attack. Abdominal pain has been reported with seizures originating in the temporal area of the brain.
I think your husband should please see a neurologist to do an EEG (brain test). If possible and this happens again, try to video the episode on your cell phone to show the doctor. If one passes out from pain you will not jerk, clench your teeth or pull your head back - you will be limp and pale.

If this happens again:
Stay calm: Do not try to restrain him, let him lie flat on the floor/bed
Do not move him unless something can hurt him in the area.
Loosen tight clothing and remove glasses.
Let the seizure run its course, unless he seems to have one attack after another, without regaining consciousness or the seizure lasts longer than 10 minutes.
Remove hazards: Such as hard, hot or sharp objects that can cause injury if the he falls or knocks against them.
Protect airways: By gently turning him on his side, so that any fluid in the mouth can drain safely. Never try to force mouth open. Do not put fingers or any object in the mouth.
When the seizure ends: Let him rest or sleep. Be calm and reassuring, because he may feel embarrassed or disoriented after an attack.

5
Posted by: paul | 2007/06/07

Gee Sandy that sounds scarry I hope you see the right specialist and get the poor guy sorted out as you must both feel pretty helpless and scared.My best wishes are with you both.. Good luck.

Reply to paul
Posted by: Lilla | 2007/06/06

Doctors use "spastic colon" as a scapegoat and a euphemism for "I don't know". This doesn't sound like any spastic colon I've ever heard of and I've had mine for 22 years and gone through colonoscopies, gastoscopes etc. These seizures are not funny and must terrify you - add confusion to the equation (due to feeling intimidated) and you must feel absolutely helpless. I hope Cyber doc replies to you soon.

Reply to Lilla
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/06/06

PS Cyberdoc....he is still having stomach cramps...

Reply to Sandy

I agree that some doctor's have the tendancy to talk down to a person. You know what you saw and how you feel, but if they do not find something with the tests they perform, funny enough, it is always a spastic colon!!! Good luck.