Question
Posted by: Jade | 2007/03/27

Spastic Colon

I have been suffering from on and off Spastic colon - around when I am stressed and anxious. At the moment I have long term stress at work. I love my job and the company I work for but it is really stressful.

4 weeks ago I went to my GP who has put me on Colofac and Librax. (Librax only when needed). I find that the librax helps but only for a few hours. Don't think that colofac is helping.

Yesterday was a bad day - tremedous bloating and cramps and shift from constipation to very watery stool. I have woken up with lower back ache - could this be linked?

Also, how long should I wait before I go back to the GP as Colofac does not seem to be helping - at the begining of the year he gave me Bevipas which seemed to help more.

Please can you help me - my IBS is effecting me - causing stress anxiety and frustration.

Thank you.

Dear Jade
I think you should see a gastro-enterologist - something like Zelnorm may be useful for you. You can rather use the Bevispas if it works better than Colofac for you. Librax contain Librium ( a similar drug to valium which is addictive) please try not to use this every day. I think if you ask a psychologist to teach you stress relieving techniques it may help a lot. Taking an antidepressant like Aropax also helps for anxiety and is less addictive, has less side effects.

1
Posted by: Maria | 2013/07/24

I would like to know what is the difference between colofac and bevispas. I was told by the doctor to take colofac, my pharmacist said that they are exactly the same. When I take colofac I find that the pain and bloating subsides and when I take bevispas I still bloat and feel pain. In the morning I take topzole and colfac and evening another colfac. My since colfac isn't so readily available I take bevispas instead.

Reply to Maria