Question
Posted by: Krissy | 2004/11/08

Spastic Colon?

Hi Diet Doc,

For the past few weeks I have been having incredible pains in my lower stomach and having spoken to various people in my family have descovered that Spastic colon problems run in the family. I went to the chemist and got pills for it that seem to work but i would just like yo find out if you could help with any foods which are good to eat and any foods which may be bad for it. I dont have IBS or any other problems - just the terrible pains. Any advice and dietery advice?

Dear Krissy
I would advise that you should have a medical checkup as such serious pains may be indicative of a variety of problems (kidney disease, problems of the reproductive organs, bowel impaction or torsion, appendicitis, etc). So please first have a checkup and once we have a diagnosis we can consider what dietary measures need be taken.
Take care