Question
Posted by: miemie | 2007/05/03

Spasm

My daughter's arm and hand get spasms. She went to a neurologist and for MRI scan. He ruled out any injured nerves and said it looks like paraxosmal dystonia. She used tablets but while taking it, she still got spasms. The doctor then said that it could not be dystonia as she got spasms even if not moving a lot and while using the pills. What else could it be? He suggested that we should take a video if the spasm happens again to send it to a professor in CT.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Miemie

This sounds like a really big medical problem and I don’t think I am suitably qualified to really assist in the prognosis. However, from our experience with rugby players and spasms we know it is a rather complex problem for which there is not a single specific reason. We do make sure the guys are taking in enough fluids with electrolytes and suitable carbohydrates to feed the muscles and yet often there are guys who do not positively respond – we anticipate that these players do have some neurological feedback mechanism that is not working optimally. All that said if it was my problem I would try taking the following supplements: Lecithin, PS, Omega 3 and a glucosamine product – they all play a role in the health of the nervous system and its neurotransmitters. You will be able to get them from your pharmacy and I prefer to use the Solal Technology brand as their concentrations are high. Follow the regime for at least 3 months before you make a decision on whether it is making a difference.

Good luck!!
Vanessa