Posted by: Kasandra | 2008/07/24

Soya protein

Dear dietdoc i am dairy intolarent any milk product causes phlem and make me bloated and sluggish, i also only eat chicken/ostr meat ones a day 4 dinner. I do running and weight training hip hop and yoga. I eat whole wheat bread ham cottage cheese, 2 fruits. I got soya protein 2 mix with water to get more protein in. Is soya bad for you? I heard so many stories. I drink water and tea, i take multi vit 4 women and proxiden at night with cholestrol pill

Dear Kasandra
If you are allergic or intolerant to milk products and need to avoid them, then it is a good idea to use soya milk and yoghurt instead because these substitutes are also enriched with calcium to ensure that you don't get deficient by avoiding milk. Soya is not bad for people, and it has been used in the East for centuries as a staple food without problems. If you should have a tendency to breast cancer which is sensitive to oestrogen, then you would need to discuss the use of soya products with your gynae (soya contains so-called phyto-oestrogens which could increase the risk of breast cancer in susceptible women), but otherwise you can use soya as a substitute for dairy products. One advantage is that soya is rich in dietary fibre and low in fat and does not contain any cholesterol.