Question
Posted by: moks | 2004/03/01

Soya milk

hi doc

I drink a glass of Soya milk every morning for breakfast.

I use the Oh so Fresh! brand that can be made up with water.

Is this healthy and what are the pitfalls?

Dear Moks
SoFresh is an excellent product which has been designed to replace cow's milk for individuals who a) are allergic to milk b) cannot drink milk for reasons of religion. Soya products contain bioflavonoids which protect the body against a variety of diseases, so this is a good practice. I do hope that you also eat other foods at breakfast? If not, then start including a breakfast cereal (Hi-bran or oats), fruit (fresh or dried) and wholewheat toast with cheese or jam or peanut butter to provide sufficient energy and nutrients to make up for the overnight fast between supper and breakfast.
Enjoy

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/03/01

Soya isn't the magic bean that some people claim that it is.

Most of the processes used to make soybeans even vaguely digestible are problematic. Typically, we are talking about acid processes, that include adding drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide) to neutralise the acid.

Soy milk and tofu are products of that process.

The traditional Japanese soy products are made by fermenting the soy beans. That allows the enzymes that naturally occur in the soybeans to break down the nutrients to a form that is digestable.

Soya products contain an enzyme-blocker that actually retards your body's ability to absorb the protein in the soya, so it's not nearly as effective a source of protein as you'd think.

Reply to Nutrition Nut