Question
Posted by: Chilli | 2004/02/09

Soya

Dr

I have a 6 month old baby girl, after discussions with her paeditrician it was decided that due to my history of allergies, i.e. wheat, eczema as a child and asthma, pollen, cat dog hair, dust and feathers that we can assume the baby might inherit these/some or other allergies. My husband is also a migraine sufferer and seems to think it is brought on by oranges and milk which lead to both of us having post nasal drip when consumed. The dr suggested we start her off on Infasoy when i returned to work so baby is still breastfeed but also takes infasoy during the day, she has done so from 5 months and has been doing well on the soy. My question, when she gets older i.e. 12 months what milk do i give her? do i try normal cow's milk and hope for the best, do i continute with soy and if so is there a special type of soy milk for 1 yr olds or do i buy the normal soya milk in the box. Due to all the post nasal etc i feel if i can i want to avoid my baby having these problems later, so would u agree on soy for life. Will she be deficient in anything due to this?

One last thing i weigh 68 kg and am 1.69m tall, is this ok? i would also like to start eating less but balanced will it be ok if i loose a few kg while still breastfeeding and if not what will happen to my milk or to baby due to loosing weight? i do not intend loosing more than 1kg a week and as i mentioned a "balanced diet" with exercise? surely this is ok 6 months after the birth or should i wait until 12 months when i stop breastfeeding?

Dear Chilli
Your baby can certainly continue on the soy milk if she is thriving and not developing any soy allergies (allergy to soy foods is nearly as common as allergy to cow's milk!). The fact that you are breastfeeding is the single most important factor in ensuring that your baby has an adequate food intake and builds up resistance for the future, so continue for as long as possible even if you have to supplement as she grows older. Discuss giving her occasional 'challenges' with tiny quantities of cow's milk (1 teaspoon at a time) to see if she does react. If not you can increase the amount of cow's milk over time always keeping watch for any signs of allergy or sensitivity. She may well not react to cow's milk or remain sensitive for a few years or even for life. If she should remain sensitive for long periods, you can certainly continue with the soy formula until she is 12 or more months old. There is usually a second version of formulas such as NAN 2m which can be used for older children. The soy milks you can buy in the supermarkets such as SoFresh can certainly be used when she gets older and should not lead to deficiencies as these products are formulated to have a similar calcium and vitamin content as cow's milk.
At present your BMI = 23,8, which is nicely within the normal range. To achieve the idea BMI of 22 for you height you would need to weigh 63 kg (loss of 5 kg), which you will probably be able to achieve by reducing your fat intake slightly and going for brisk walks in the fresh air with baby.