Posted by: Leonie | 2008/08/22

2 months ago i had my Insuline and sugar tested tests came back sugar 5.3 and insuline 10.7. I went to see a dietician and started the low Gi plan lost only 2 kg since begining of July. i gym, powerplate and go for a walk 4-5 days per week. On Tuesday i bought the South Beach Diet and started on Wednesday and lost 1kg since. Phase 1 is strict and difficult to follow I am going to stay on it for 14 days then start Phase 2 which is a low Gi plan.

Do you reccomend the diet, I have read an article that it is good for peolpe with raised insuline levels and cholesterol on health 24 i see it was printed23/7/2007

I would appreciate your advise. Thank you. Kind regards, Leonie

Dear Leonie
The South Beach diet may promote rapid weightloss, but I am personally not in favour of diets that exclude whole food groups (e.g. carbohydrates). I do think that with your insulin resistance it would be safer and healthier for you to continue with a low-fat, low-GI diet and up your aerobic exercise to control your insulin and sugar levels. If you do not lose sufficient weight with a low-GI diet then you may require medication like Glucophage to sustain your insulin levels. Discuss this with the dr who is treating you. Make quite sure that the low-GI part of the South Beach diet is really balanced and low-GI.
Take care

Posted by: Leonie | 2008/08/23

Dear DietDoc

Thank you for the advise. I am seeing my dietician at the end of phase 1 to discuss phase 2. I spoke to my Dr 2 weeks ago and mentioned to her that my weight loss is slow should' t I go on Glucophage she said I must try a little harder and that my insulin levels are not that high. We will check my cholesterol and insulin in a months time which will be after my 14 days on phase 1.

Today is my 4th day and I feel very energetic. I eat lots of veggies and salad combined with Fish or chicken breast I eat nuts:15 almonds 2x per day I also drink 2 cups of skim milk everyday I also eat trim beef or lamb. ! cup decaf coffee and then Rooi bos and 4 glases of water.

I must say the 14 days are difficult because I enjoyed the low Gi, I think my portion control was to blame and I also ate a few wine gums and marshmallows which I shouldn' t have.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth and I must say the south beach diet took that craving away and i never feel hungry it feels like I have lost my appetite

I really appreciate your advise.
Keep well

Kind regards

Reply to Leonie