Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2004/03/03

South African mental disorder statistics

Is there a publication I can source that will give me statistics on mental health disorders which I need for a class assignment? I have searched a lot of sites, but found nothing but American stats so far.
Thanks.

Dear Sandy,
Yes, you could try both the ideas proposed by our readers. When at high levels of government, including the Ministry of Health, there is still, such ludicrous denial of the reality of the AIDS pandemic, and continued neglect of the constitutionally guaranteed equal availability of treatment for mental health problems, it's hardly surprising that there are no good and reliable stats for mental health problems in South Africa --- there is no motivation or funding for conducting the necessary research to producegood stats. You'll find most folks rely on American or European figures ( we have no reason to expect the situation in SA to be any better than these ). Such studies as have been done have mainly been in geographically limited areas, such as the rather over-studied Western Cape and espcially the environs of Cape Town, and not necessarily generalizeable to the rest of the country.

3
Posted by: de Bruyn | 2004/03/07

Interesting topic. I think it was George Bernard Shaw who said that there are more insane people outside an asylum than in.

A columnist from yesteryear, Mollie Reinhard, used to refer to this country as "This mad and sunny land of ours." and I don't think its changed much!!

Good luck with your quest

Reply to de Bruyn
Posted by: know it all | 2004/03/04

try mental health sa .co . za (no spaces in between)

Reply to know it all
Posted by: carol | 2004/03/03

have a look on google .. and type in south african mental health , i see quite a lot there .

i find our search engines quite pathetic, so i always use google .

Reply to carol