Question
Posted by: NM | 2007/07/11

Soulbroken and Lonely

Two days after his birthday my life partner was involved in a car accident and he did not survive. He went to buy us a car but before I could see it he collided with a truck on his way back. Now tell me how does one deal with such pain. He left me with a 6,5 month old baby. We had so many plans ahead of us. We are still young. I am 26 and he was 29. Yesterday, it was a month since he passed and to me its still difficult accept the fact that he is dead. We were living together and I still can't get back to our house. It was our dream home and we were planning to grow old together. How do I explain to my daughter as to why she does not have a father. He was everything to me ( and I mean everything). Sometimes I just wish that someone could just tell me that I am dreaming and he is still alive. I don't know where to begin as he was my adviser and i couldn't imagine my life without him. Me and my daughter are staying at my mom's place and she has been very supportive but at the same time I feel like I am batraying my partner by leaving the house. We were planning on getting married by the end of this year.. I'm really confused and if it wasn't for my daughter, i would have also killed myself because i can't imagine my life without him.

I am sure every single reader feels terrible about what happened to you, and understands your grief. And I believe their silence comes from the difficulty in finding words to commiserate and comfort you. Grief is never easy, and especially so in such tragic circumstances. The reactions you describe are actually typical and normal, though uncomfortable, and it will be possible for you to recover from this grief though it may be very ahrd right now to beleieve that this could happen. I strongly recommend that you seek counselling from a good local counsellor who has experience in matters of grief, to give you the support you deserve. DOn't feel you have to rush into making decisions about the house just yet. Take the time to discuss this and all related issues with your counsellor and to take a wise decision, about what would be best for you and your child.